Turkey and Savoury Rice
Use this recipe to get a healthy low fat meal packed with good lean protein, healthy carbs and vitamins and minerals from the variety of vegetables. This recipe will serve 4 adults or can be portioned into 4 servings to have later in the week or day. Its versatile as you can add your own preferred vegetables to it, or even use quorn chicken pieces to make it vegetarian.
- 1 Teaspoon coconut oil (or other oil to fry onion in)
- 1 Medium onion
- 100g Closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 150g Easy cook long grain brown rice
- 300ml Reduced salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 75g Frozen peas
- 100g Baby sweetcorn, sliced
- 100g Broccoli, sliced (into thumb width pieces)
- 1 Teaspoon curry powder
- 1 large tomato (or 4 small tomatoes), chopped
- 1 Teaspoon tomato puree (optional) to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Fry the onion for 2 minutes then add the mushrooms and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and add the stock, broccoli, peas, baby sweetcorn and curry powder.
- Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer, stirring every now and then for 10-15 minutes - adding more water if required.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato puree if required, stir in well and cook for a further 5 minutes until the rice is cooked through.